However, there is a delicate tightrope to tread between being a concerned employer and risking being construed as harassing staff…
Dealing with sickness absence can be a complex and difficult matter. There are many issues to consider. Here are a few examples (although there are many, many more):
– Is the problem work-related?
– Is the employee disabled?
– Could I be discriminating?
– When should I call a meeting?
– Can they take holiday whilst they are off?
– The fit note says “may be fit for work” what do I do?
– Is the sickness genuine?
We regularly help our clients to manage issues concerning both long-term absence and frequent sickness absence to minimise business disruption and reduce the likelihood of a dispute occurring.
Complementary initial consultations with our specialist employment lawyers are provided with no obligation to proceed.